Something's Happening: May 2018
Afternoon Tea on sale & a fully stocked bar.
Adults Bds $20
Children under 12 y.o. FREE
Start time: 3:15 PM
- Barbados Polo Club New Zealand Tour – Annual Challenge between a New Zealand Team and a select Barbadian Team
Here's the schedule:
May 1: Holders Polo Club
May 3: Apes Hill Polo Club
May 7: Holders Polo Club
- Barbados Polo Season - Jamaica Tour –
Here's the schedule:
May 8: Apes Hill Polo Club
May 10: Holders Polo Club
May 13: Holders Polo Club
Match dates and locations may change due to the weather.
- Barbados Polo Season – President’s/ Kearns Trophy
The matches will be played at Holders Polo Field.
Opening Match: 3:15pm
Feature Match: 4:30pm
Start time: 3:15 PM
Venue: Holders Polo Field, St James
Heroes Day Chess Cup - This is a 9-round Swiss event. There will be top-level players coming from the United States, Bulgaria, Trinidad and Columbia vying for the win against the local Barbadian teams.
Date: May 1 2018
There are two competitions:
Masters: 10 Player Invitations Double Round Robin
Challengers: 9 round Swiss
Start time: 10:00 AM
Venue: Divi Southwinds Beach Resort, St. Lawrence Main Rd., Christ Church
- Barbados Turf Club Horse Racing Season 2: Thoroughbred Horse Racing in Barbados has taken place at the Garrison Savannah for over 150 years. The Barbados Turf Club organizes three seasons of racing per year. These meetings run from January to April; May to August and from October to December, normally every other Saturday. There are usually nine races per day, starting around 1:00 pm and finishing around 5:45 pm.
Dates: Day 1 – 12th May, Day 2 - 26th May
Entrance fee to the various stands ranges from Bds $10.00 to $100.00 for the day. Special (higher) prices apply to Gold Cup Day in early March. Admission is free to the grounds.
Venue: Garrison Savannah, St. Michael
- Motor Sport - Race Meeting No 2
Clash of Champions Race Meet!
This is Round 2 of the 2018 Championship Series.
This event is promoted by the Bushy Park Motor Sports Inc (BPMSI).
Date: 6 May 2018
Start time: 10:00 AM
Venue: Bushy Park, St. Philip
- Motor Sport - MCBI Speed Event No 3
This event is promoted jointly by the Motoring Club of Barbados Inc
In the Speed Event cars run individually, even though two or more individual runs may be taking place concurrently. The winner is the competitor who covers the distance in the least time.
For this speed event some public roads will be closed.
Date: 26, 27 May 2018
Start time: 10:00 PM
- MCBI Speed Event No 3
Date: 26, 27 May 2018
Time: 10 a.m.
- FLOW King of the Hill - a tarmac course approximately 3 kilometres in length. Drivers must take a co-driver on all timed runs. The course layout emphasizes car handling, driver skill, and maneuverability rather than performance.
Date: 27 May 2018
Time: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Chefette Fun Run
Date: 20 May - From Cheffette Warrens to Chefette Fontebelle
Start time: 4:00 PM
Admission: Bds $20.00
The event is in support of the Aunty Olga Needy Children's Fund
- Laugh Barbados – Caribbean Kings and Queens of Comedy Show: A comedy show featuring the best of Barbados, Trinidad, Jamaica, Guyana and the USA.
Majah Hype - King of Caribbean Comedy - USA
Christopher 'Johnny' Daley - Jamaican King of Comedy
Rachel Price - Queen of Caribbean Comedy - Trinidad
Chow Pow - Guyanese King of Comedy
Trevor Eastmond - Barbadian King of Comedy
Quite Perry - Internet Sensation and Rising star in stand-up Comedy
MC by the Legendary Mac Fingall
Early Bird Bds $50
Regular Bds $70
Tickets available online at https://secure.ticketpal.com/event/Laugh-Barbados-
Start time: 6:00 PM End time: 10:00 AM
Venue: Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Centre, Two Mile Hill, St. Michael
10th Annual European Film Festival 2018
The Delegation of the European Union to Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean in collaboration with the European Union member states presents their annual European Film Festival.
Experience the drama, comedy, tragedy, and passion of the moving image alongside film fans, academics, students, and local expatriate communities at the 2018 edition of the European Film Festival (EFF). This year's festival will run for two weeks at the Olympus Theatres and premiere over 20 feature films from 16th-30th May 2018.
Admission to all EFF movies is FREE
More information to come.
Dates - 16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,27,28,29,30 May 2018
Venue: Olympus Theatres, Sheraton Mall, Christ Church
- Barbados Celtic Festival 2018
The Celtic Festival Barbados celebrates the links between this wonderful balmy West Indian Caribbean island and the Celtic countries. It’s a musical extravaganza with a fusion of flavours from visiting chefs and highland and beach games for the sporting.
Dates: 24,25,26,27 May 2018
The Gap Theatre - On the Block
The Gap Theatre presents On the Block at the Daphne Joseph-Hackett Theatre.
Synopsis: On the Block is a coming-of-age-story which features a group of youngsters working to harness the insecurities which challenge their development into adulthood. Despite the chaos around them, they use their wits and their intelligence to navigate dark waters, while forging deeper bonds of understanding and friendship.
Written by Glenville Lovell
Directed by Na La
Play runs from May 3rd-5th.
Regular Tickets Bds $40.00
Students with I.D (16 y.o. & older) Bds $20.00
BARP Members Bds $35.00
This play is not suitable for children under 16 y.o.
Doors open at 7pm
Show commences at 7:30pm sharp.
Tickets available online at:
Also available at all TicketPal Locations:
CS Pharmacy, Bridgetown; Ticket Centre, Warrens; A&B Music, Sheraton Centre; Lucky Horseshoe, Worthing; Lucky Horseshoe, Warrens; NU Look, Bridgetown; Emerald City, Six Roads; Hugo Boss, Limegrove; Carlton Supermarket, Black Rock; Rubis Service Station, Wildey; BCSL – Lloyd Erskine Sandiford; The Village Bar, Lemon Arbor; Sol Service Station, Redmans Village; Cave Shepherd, Broad Street
Start time: 7:30 PM
Venue: Daphne Joseph-Hackett Theatre, Queen's Park, Bridgetown, St. Michael
- Hike Barbados- Special Hike – Hill Challenge – Barclays Park
Along the way you will meet new friends, enjoy healthy exercise and observe the delicate balance of the unique heritage and environment of Barbados.
6:00 a.m. Barclays Park
Date: May 1st
- Tour George Washington House: Tour George Washington House and the Garrison Tunnels. You can take this tour on any week day, not just on Mondays and Wednesdays.
See the very home where a 19-year-old George Washington laid his head for 6 weeks in 1751. Also see, walk and learn all about the intriguing and mysterious Garrison Tunnels. George Washington never went abroad, except to Barbados in 1751. It was a turning point for him, and in this beautifully restored house where he stayed, you learn how. Its upstairs museum uses artifacts and interactive displays to showcase 18th and 19th century Barbados, and gives eloquent witness to the experience of slavery. A short distance away is the Military Cemetery, a place of haunting beauty that few people ever see.
Dress nicely casual. No pre-booking is needed. Just follow the directions - look for the signs. Call the George Washington House at 228-5461 to ensure that the viewing is on as advertised.
Entrance Fee: George Washington House: Bds $20.00
Tunnels: Bds $20.00 Both: Bds $30.00
Start time: 9:00 AM End time: 4:30 PM
Venue: George Washington House, The Garrison, St. Michael
- Brighton Farmer's Market: Set in the picturesque grounds of Brighton Plantation, it is a farm gate produce market, coupled with sales of prepared food, clothing & local craft.
Location: Brighton Plantation, St. George
Dates: Every Saturday
Time: 6:15am - 10:00am
- Hastings Farmers Market: An arts & food market packed with local vendors. Homemade, home grown & home created! Bring the children and let them have fun in Arty's Play Park.
Location: Art Splash Centre, Hastings, Ch Ch
Dates: Every Wednesday, Saturday & Sunday
Time: 8:00am - 2:00pm
- Holders Organic Farmer's Market: This market specializes in organic, locally grown produce, food & beverages, art & craft, health care products & ore. All of them made in Barbados.
Live entertainment each week.
Location: Holders House, Holders Hill, St. James
Dates: Every Sunday
Time: 9:00am - 2:00pm
Restaurants & Dining
- Re-Discover Barbados Restaurant Program: Offers a 10% discount off lunches or a fixed price special 3 course dinner including wine at over 60 leading restaurants across the island.
Lunch - The re-Discover Lunch voucher offers a 10% discount off lunches at many restaurants across the island. Vouchers can be collected from the Barbados Tourism office in the airport arrivals hall or online.
Dinner - The offer is mostly for a 3-course dinner including a bottle of wine per couple for BBD$99.00 per person - VAT & service charge included. Be sure to request the re-Discover Menu when making your reservations.
For a list of restaurants with menus and contact details, go to: http://www.re-discover.com.