Live painting at the Gallery of Caribbean Art
There are numerous, talented artists in Barbados, who have been producing a variety of work over the years. An online Barbados Art Directory was produced by Corrie Scott & Kathy Yearwood in 2011 that gives a great introduction to most of the artists and their work. I have found this directory to be extremely useful when trying to find a certain style of art or artist.
Recently Blue Sky Luxury hosted an Art exhibit at the Gallery of Caribbean Art in Speightstown that was thoroughly enjoyed. On hand and painting were both Susan Mains and Catherine Forter Chee-a-tow, whose work was on display. It is such a treat to have an opportunity to speak to the artists and understand their point of view.
Photo compliments Tides Restaurant, Barbados
In recent times we are seeing art becoming part of the social scene with events such as “Paint & Groove” where you can enjoy cocktails and are guided through the painting of a piece of art by a local artist. We have even had “Art Wars” sponsored by Absolute Vodka and showcases at a variety of popular bars, where numerous artists have their work displayed as they work on a new painting for everyone to see. I recently attended one of these events at Drift, in Holetown and it was interactive and attended by locals of all ages.
Art is becoming accessible to everyone and it is great to see many novices giving all types of art a try and not being hindered by thoughts of “I can’t draw”.
Artwork by Catherine Forter Chee-a-tow
We have a number of Art Galleries in Barbados, with a few located in restaurants and bars like The Tides, and Drift on the west coast and Champers on the south coast. Some suggestions include:
- Gallery of Caribbean Art in Speightstown for a variety of local art.
- The Pelican Craft Centre on Harbour Rd. in Bridgetown, where you can purchase and, in some cases, meet the artist of a range of crafts including jewellery, basket work, ceramics, painting and sculptures.
- On The Wall Art Gallery – they have three locations, Limegrove Mall in Holetown, Champers Restaurant, Rockley, Ch. Ch. or at the Earthworks Complex, Edghill, St. Thomas, where you can view and purchase the beautiful pottery made by the Spielers along with Henderson Reece Batik studio.
- Art Splash - located in Hastings on the south coast is a fun community art centre, cafe, gallery and play park, they also have a weekly farmer’s market.
- Fresh Milk - located on a 300-year-old dairy farm, The Milking Parlour Studio, Walkers Plantation House, and St. George. Fresh Milk offers twice monthly Mixers where visitors can interact while enjoying healthy local food and beautiful Caribbean Art. The gallery is run by the well-known Barbadian artist Annalee Davis and is open by appointment only.
- The Frame & Art Co. - located in MIllhouse Complex St. Michael. The Frame & Art Co offers custom picture framing but is also known for local shows, the likes of "The ANONYMOUS Charity Art Show" and is currently showing "Scapes" by Julianne Gill which is on until May 5th 2018.